Follow Up

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on February 28, 2005 at 13:09:27:

In Reply to: Re: DFG Contact Info? Sonke? posted by Sonke on February 28, 2005 at 12:27:29:

I gave Warden Spencer Gilbert a call and discussed the situation. I explained that we are respectful of the squid boats and make every effort to avoid them and their equipment. Conversely, we request that the commercial guys respect the distance-to-shore limitations and be mindful of using seal bombs when divers are in the water. Warden Gilbert advised that the commercial boats have to stay 300 yards offshore and that he would look into the seal bomb situation. He requested that I contact LA Co Life Guards and Redondo Beach Harbor Patrol and relay my concerns. Warden Gilbert was genuinely interested in our situation and was friendly and helpful.

I contacted Redondo Beach Harbor Patrol at 310-318-0632 and spoke with Officer Chris. He confirmed that RBHP will be closely monitoring and enforcing the distance-to-shore rules. He said that legally there was little that could be done to stop the dropping of seal bombs. That said, he did agree to contact the boats and advise them that divers are in the water and to be mindful of using the bombs. He requested that we contact him at the number above before entering the water so he could relay the message to the boats (just call the number and ask to speak to an officer regarding dive operations – have 1 person per large group do this so we don’t annoy them or waste their resources). He also would like to see photos or video of the squid and gave me an email address that I could send pics or URLs to. Please forward me your pictures and I’ll make sure he gets them.

As of 11:15AM, I’ve been unable to contact LA County Life Guards at 310-372-2166 (I’m getting all circuits are busy). I’ll try again after lunch.

I would like to send a big THANK YOU to Sonke, Warden Gilbert, and RBHP helping us out with this situation.

Regards,
Ross Overstreet
Torrance, CA
www.diver.net/ross

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title: