Re: Backpacks and bouyancy

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on March 10, 2005 at 11:48:06:

In Reply to: Re: Backpacks and bouyancy posted by Tribes on March 10, 2005 at 10:52:35:

Jim Hoffman,
I agree that diving a backpack sans BC is not for everyone. I do not recommend anyone try it until they have several hundred dives, and many should never attempt it. However many divers, including Captain Ray and myself, find it the best way to hunt for bugs. It offers superior mobility and streamlining over even a tech backplate and wings. The amount of drag with even a low profile wing is very notable. It only takes one dive without the wing to prove it to your self.
A tech backplate and wings offers superior streamlining and stability when compared to the jacket style BC most divers use, but it is not the end all panacea you and others claim. I have hundreds of dives with a backplate and wings, yet I find I prefer an old fashioned backpack over the tech backplate when diving a single tank. I use a Oxycheq 18 lb. wing on an old style backpack for photography. For me this set up is far superior to the tech backplate/wing combo. However the additional drag from even this low profile wing is very perceptible.

’Chris
me in old style backpack w/ Oxycheq wing

Where did you come up with the fantasy that Halcyon invented the backplate/wing system? I bought my first backplate and wind setup from Dive-Rite in 1992, long before Halcyon existed. Halcyon has mad some small incremental changes to original Dive-Rite products, as have many others. I personally think the products offered by Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, and Dive-Rite (not an all inclusive list) are superior in both price and quality when compared to Halcyon. But since you are a Halcyon dealer I understand your posistion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]