Re: Travelling exhibit...(NOT)

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 16, 2005 at 09:01:38:

In Reply to: Travelling exhibit...(NOT) posted by Dwill on March 16, 2005 at 06:52:21:

The article reported "Quest Marine Services Research Vessel Quest, announced today that he and his crew successfully recovered the main signal bell from the Nantucket Lightship from its final resting site in over thirty fathoms of water..."

I guess it was not the final resting place. If it were the final the bell would still be there.

I am continually amazed at the people who claim to steal (it isn't yours to begin with)these artifacts in the name of doing a public service by expressing a desire to put them on display (but never show up at the museum fundraisers) or rationalize that the sea will just absorb the wreckage over time so by privatizing the artifact I am doing you a service.

I recall seeing a California Wreck divers display at the annual scuba show about 10 years ago or so that contained lots of artifacts. Being something of a maritime historian, I asked about the ships the artifacts represented. The person manning the display could provide no details but wanted to talk about what a superior diver he was because he threatened life and limb to retrieve the items. Shucks, I forgot to get his autograph.

You want a model of how to serve the community through wreck diving, create an organization like Dr. Cussler did and then adequately fund it. Otherwise you are just a thief that deprives non-consuming wrteck divers of the experience of discovery that you so highly prize.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]