Catalina Sunday

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DougD on March 21, 2005 at 22:25:41:

Spent Sunday on the Pacific Star and saw just about every other dive boat in the fleet there, too, all lined up along the front-side with flags flying and divers in the water. We found a spot at Cherry Cove. Down in the rocks there were a couple of small 2' horn sharks, a field of banded gobies, and a big green ab to greet me. Vis was about 25' and the water seems pretty warm to me, but the wetsuit divers were cold. ;)

The next site was Sea Fan Grotto, which was really cool and beautiful and everything, but, poking around the bottom at 65', right under the boat, I found somebody's long-lost ScubaPro dive knife buried in the silt. The handle was poking out of the bottom just enough for a few straight edges to catch my eye. I pulled the relic from the bottom like Excalibur, it's only partly-rusted blade shining in the watery, filtered light, and thought, "Argh, treasure!"

The handle was faded pretty badly, and kind of rotten, with rust leaking out, so I gave it to Dave Harvey, to give to the next diver that comes aboard crying about losing his/her dive knife, so never say I never gave you anything.

But before I gave the knife to Dave I poked around on the bottom with it a while longer, and found an octopus hiding in his hole. I thought about chopping up an urchin for the Garibaldi, Senioritas, and small sheaphead that were following me around but never did.

There was a third dive but I sat that one out and just enjoyed being on the boat, on the ocean, on a beautiful day(well, maybe a tad too much wind and chop).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]