Re: And the SEXISM thing again... :)

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hilary on March 23, 2005 at 05:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: And the SEXISM thing again... :) posted by Elaine on March 22, 2005 at 11:29:56:

Silly boys...No..I don't think it's conspiracy related. I don't believe in the BDAGDS. And I somehow knew I'd get a comment about "Long and Deep." I realize it was just too good of an opening to pass up. :)~

Yes, that is the attitude, Elaine. The "You don't belong here" attitude. The worst I felt it was in Hawaii, actually. Got on the boat and it was immediately clear that as the only female diver, they didn't care if I felt welcome. The boys were huddled over in the corner talking. (They apparently didn't know each other either, but were worthy of talking to each other.) This time I actually WAS a student...AOW....The instructor was an ass too, but that's a whole other story. I also get the feeling that I'm looked at as if I'm man shopping. (NEVER the case) The flirting is fine. I don't get offended by that. I'm not femi-nazi. And I give it right back. :) But the exclusionary behavior is what I hate. I've had mostly good experiences in Southern California. Thankfully. But I also don't usually dive alone here. I had a great experience recently out of Mission Bay...it was on a smaller, private boat, but I had gone alone and met up with and dove with a fantastic group (of strangers actually) So overall..it's mostly good. Most divers rock. Shouldn't be jaded by the few bad experiences.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]