Re: I don't know, a good wreck at Catalina might be nice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by divingyogini on April 01, 2005 at 12:49:15:

In Reply to: I don't know, a good wreck at Catalina might be nice posted by Elaine on March 31, 2005 at 22:31:49:

My understanding is that Catalina is being suggested as a possible location. I only say this because Dick Long mentioned it during the meeting. This whole process is in a very early phase, so I'm sure no one has an exact location pinned down. In fact, a crucial part of the process of sinking wrecks will involve detailed analyses/reviews of site suitability. One thing to keep in mind is that, once a wreck hits the bottom, it will be very important to monitor its progress as an artificial reef. This is one of the things we do here in San Diego with the Yukon. SDOF relies on volunteer trained research divers (much like the CCD) to go out and monitor the development of the ship as an artificial reef, noting the growth over time of the fouling community and conducting fish counts along permanent transects. I can tell you from first hand experience that relying on volunteers to collect data is a tough business. We rely on the generous support of a local charter operator to take divers out, and then we are often thwarted in our efforts by bad weather or unsuitable visibility. But here in California, where I think the political climate is a bit more circumspect regarding the idea of sinking scrapped Navy ships, it's important to try to make a case for the role that these wrecks ultimately play as artifical reefs -- do they enhance marine habitat, or are they ultimately just fish "killing zones". The former is one of the things that SDOF is hoping to be able to demonstrate over time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]