Trip Report: Santa Barbara Island w/ the Sea Divers on the Great Escape

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on April 04, 2005 at 22:56:50:

Last Saturday April 2, 2005 Kathryn and I went to Santa Barbara Island with the Sea Divers aboard the Great Escape.
Ealine, Kathryn, and I went to dinner on Pine St. the night before and Elaine seemed very happy to see her friend, Mr. yellowfin tuna.

’elaine

We had a very smooth trip to Santa Barbara Island that night. Our first dive was at the Sutil Island wall. The visibility was 60’+, and the water was a very comfortable 59°F. I spotted a small sculpin near the beginning of the dive, and near the end I took some pictures of an octopus that Elaine pointed out.

’Sutl    ’Sutl    ’Sutl    ’Sutl    

Our next dive was at the east side kelp where we encountered many playful sealions, a torpedo ray, and some healthy looking lobsters.

’east    ’east    ’east    ’east    

Our last two dives were inside Brittle Star reef. On the second dive a large (10 lb.) sheephead kept following me and passing very close, even sticking his face in the camera a few times.

’inside    ’inside    ’inside    ’inside    

’inside    ’inside    ’inside    ’inside    

It was a great day of diving, if you missed it because you though the weather was going to be bad, you should kick yourself. It was truly nice. Perhaps you can join us on one of the upcoming Sea Divers trips.

’on

click here to see all my pictures from the trip

©2005 Chris Grossman, diver.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: