Re: A diver left at Catalina ......Saturday

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JR Gordon on April 07, 2005 at 12:10:52:

In Reply to: A diver left at Catalina ......Saturday posted by Tribes on April 04, 2005 at 12:56:16:

It happened aboard the Island Time last Saturday at Long Point. The very young, female DM didn't listen when other divers told her that there was still someone in the water. She said no he's below (I'll assume the head is below on the Island Diver?), and they pulled anchor and left.
The diver surfaced to see the boat driving off into the distance. Luckily there was a private boat around the cove, and he swam to it. They then radioed the Island Time who returned for him.

The DM never spoke to the diver afterward, though the Captain was apologetic. Apparently no roll call was taken....Later he overheard her talking that she had just come to So Cal from a resort in the Carribbean.

The diver, who is my friend, prefers to remain annonymous. He received an unsolicited voice mail call from a "Director of Training" at Sports Chalet on Monday asking "what he wanted". He left a return message asking for better training and standards.

FTR, Obstensibly he was solo though he entered the water with a guy who was shooting video. They parted ways after awhile as the video guy was just staying in one spot very shallow. They surfaced and communicated, then my friend went off by himself. He had a 50 minute BT and was diving his own PS95.

JRG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]