Clearing winds today

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 09, 2005 at 13:49:39:

In Reply to: Re: Hello Brad posted by Elaine on April 09, 2005 at 11:06:20:

That insignificant low pressure passed by and left us with this substantial clearing wind.. this condition will be prevalent for the next couple of months. These clearing winds make this the most dangerous time of the year to be offshore. The winter storms are predictable, as are the fall santanas, but these clearing winds can be unpredictable and mean.

The good skiff in upside down and is getting ready for a new coat of paint on the bottom. When i first flipped it over and examined the hull, i was mortified! There was so little damage and wear that this whole ordeal may not have been worth the effort...

Then again, after 14 years, 600 nights afloat, and 50,000nm it could use some sprucing up before the summer..

i waited to do this restoration project until this time of year because of the spring winds and the green water. i hope to have the skiff back on the water sometime in the beginning of June.

i have been sanding for days. i decided to add an extra layer of glass tape around the fwd edge and stringers and that means i've had to fair in about 50ft of edges...tough work, but when i am through, i ain't touching the hull for the next 20 years!

this is a labor of love.. i think about all the places this skiff has allowed me to enjoy and all this work dissappears into itself.. this skiff and i have been through so much over the years. all of those godforsaken nights exposed to the eliments. the wind, the water, the swells, the dew, the cold, waking up at nic and knowing you have 70 miles of whitcaps before that cup of coffee. the skiff has been to the cortes bank 29 times and has spent 26 nights out there, a few of them were prety rough.. it has made 93 trips to San Nicolas and spent 134 nights at anchor there. It has been to SCI over 150 times and has spent almost 300 nights at anchor there. also it has spent some 50 nights at SBI, and a few nights at Catalina years ago..the bottom line is, i OWE it to this splendid conglomeration of wood, stainless steel, epoxy and paint to care for her the best that i can~

i get home, flush the engine for a few minutes, rinse out the inside, then put it away until the next trip...

ULM!

(ultra-low-maintenance)

do the hard work and do it well, then it will be nothing but smooth sailing...

Very nice to hear from you Stephen and Elaine!

remember:

There is nothing like the feeling of utter security on a tumultuous sea...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]