Abusive buddies and instructors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojo Mike on April 15, 2005 at 11:23:38:

In Reply to: Re: Spare and Seals posted by Max Bottomtime on April 14, 2005 at 19:34:37:

People just like to kick me in the face for some reason ;-) What else are dive buddies good for? If they can't kick you in the face once in awhile;-) One of the hazards of diving with new divers.

My first instructor in the sixty's. Would be considered abusive by today's standards. His pool sessions were gnarly. He would tear off our masks, yack out our regulators, drop our tanks, turn off our air, disconnect our harness, etc. Then we played football with a rubber coated brick and we did the same to each other.

If you survived his pool sessions. Then the odds of a student getting into a panic situation was slim during open water dives. Which were not abusive. I guess he was just weeding out. Nowadays just about any one can become certified. Which has positive and negative aspects.

Seems like I heard that some places a snorkel is required. It does make a great squirt gun for those trying to sun themselves on the rocks ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]