Re: Question about Cabo Diving

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on April 19, 2005 at 17:55:33:

In Reply to: Re: Question about Cabo Diving posted by seahunt on April 19, 2005 at 16:21:01:

The diving in Cabo is boring. Whatever you do, don't let them take you to a place called "Sand Falls". It is where they take gullible gringos to an area where the sand undersurface is quite steep near a precipice. If the sand doesn't fall off the edge, the guide will obligingly push the sand over by hand to give you that total tourist touch.

Beware of hawkers, especially while you are trying to eat in any area that seats people outdoors. Especially obnoxious are the little urchins that deliberately block your walking path to try to sell you chiclets. One of these days they are gonna push me over the edge and I am going to take their friggin bag of chicklets and their painted plates and throw them both in the water. (written to the tune of when John Belushi delivered his SNL news report to the point where he had a heart attack)

In the entrance to Cabo harbor, the southernmost part has some semi-decent snorkleing areas...otherwise, all of Cabo San Lucas is a waste of dive time. Try driving 45 minutes north on the Cortez or east side of the cape, to a beach called Cabo Palmillo. Right there on theŽbeach is a dive store where you can rent tanks and weight belts. it is the onyl place in the area that has a good coral population, and there is much to see there.

Ignore lovers beach, a linguistic misnomer, as you can't have sex there unless you want 50 people leering at you. Try the west side with a drive up the Pacific side, lots of nice clean beaches where you and a friend can tan all over in privacy.

Don't get suckered into fishing, these goons will tell you you need to buy live bait, at $2 a piece from their co-conspirators, then once underway, they will expect you to troll with artificial lures and usually never use the live bait anyway.

The drinks in the bars aren't cheap, even though I only drink Pepsi, even that is expensive. The whole town is designed to pry as much $ away from you as possible with exorbitant prices on everything.

As to Gordo Banks, that is THE place to go if you like to see Mr. Big.

With the exception of Palmillo and Gordo, I would skip Cabo if I were you, I still wake up from nightmares in cold sweat with the words "Wanna Golf?", "Wanaa go Feeshing?", "Wanna snorkel?", "Wanna Pinche Time Share?" "Chiclets?" spinning round my head....

;)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]