Re: SCUBA tanks for target practice!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on April 22, 2005 at 10:26:12:

In Reply to: SCUBA tanks for target practice!!!! posted by Chuck Tribolet on April 22, 2005 at 08:32:10:

Very Nice!

Here's a pic that a friend who used to be an engineer at Scubapro or US Divers (I forget, which ever one was in in OC) sent me.

------------------

I don't remember if I sent you this previously, but here is a photo of a burst 80 cu ft aluminum tank.

Two clever young individuals ran a part-time hull cleaning business somewhere in Florida. Their tanks got beat up, and they were going to have them repainted. Someone had the bright of idea of having them powder-coated instead of painted.

The powder coating process heated the tanks up to 400 F or so, and of course fully annealed the aluminum alloy.

Days later, the first guy had his tank filled, it failed, and blew out the rear of a dive shop. Luckily the tank was in a water-filled bunker and no one was seriously injured.

A few days later, the second guy took his tank to s different shop, except here the compressor operator was allegedly holding the tank between his knees when it failed. Supposedly he lost both legs and other "parts".

I participated as a witness in the metalurgical analysis at Atlas labs in LA, where reps from Luxfer, US Divers, various insurance companies, etc. The material turned out to be dead soft & stretched like taffy in the tensile test machine.

------------------

BTW - If you liked that video, you would really get a kick out of "Machine Gun Magic" by Dillon Press. They rig radio control aircraft with explosives and then shoot them down with various machine guns including quad 50's, miniguns, etc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]