I Agree to Some Extent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by grousseau on April 27, 2005 at 13:39:39:

In Reply to: Re: Spear Fishing.....Short sighted and greedy posted by Jim Hoffmann on April 27, 2005 at 13:03:20:

I agree to some extent having seen the changes since I began freediving in 1978 and scuba in 1982. During that time period Abalone has been closed and rockfish have been regulated. The marine sactuary areas have also been established in the Channel Islands. Contrary the opinions of some, sportsman do support temporary closures or marine protected areas when the resource has been severly depleted. I do support closures also when they are supported by DFG biologists in order to protect a depleted species. That is fishery management and conservation. I don't support blanket ideas like "ban all spearfishing in the state." Protectionism is not effective wildlife management. Case in point is the Mountain Lion in California. Hunting has been completely banned since 1972 on this species and now they are slowy decimating the Dessert Bighorn Sheep in the San Gregornio Mountains as well as the Mojave Dessert. A "Protected/Non Endangered Species" is now killing off and eating a Federally Endangered Species. Not effective management of the resource. I hear these same arguments every year in the fall when the upland bird season starts. I hear "we should ban all hunting" from people who have no idea that I spent several weekends in the dessert repairing and filling water guzzlers that 20 different species of animals use......including CA Quail which I hunt in the fall. This also brings up the argument of commercial vs recreationl take, and as you know the impact of recreational fishing is dwarfed in comparision to commercial fishing and trawling. There are also size limits which can be ajusted according to pressure. We also have the hatchery programs funded by license fees and special stamps like the Salmon/Steelhead tags.

I also have no problem if a dive boat operator or store does not want to support hunting............that is their choice............just as mine is to not patronize them.

Thanks for the spirited discussion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]