Re: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on May 11, 2005 at 12:35:57:

In Reply to: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours? posted by Anonymous on May 11, 2005 at 11:32:39:

1. Depending on the dive profile I will sometimes use an octopus and an Air II. Typically, though, just the Air II.

2. Twice in approx. 6,500 dives - once as a donor, once as a receiver. Both OOA events were anticipated and took place on the deco line. The events were both handled carefully and calmly and engendered little in the way of an adrenaline rush. In the one case it was only carried out for just a few minutes until the lazy s.o.b's in the deck crew could drop a full bottle and reg over the side.

3. It is always serious to encounter an OOA situation. Particularly those that begin with one buddy taking a breath and just pulling vacuum. An OOA in 20 feet might have been better served by doing a blow-n-go, but I wasn't there. Each diver has to choose what he or she thinks is the best response in situations like you encountered.

Congratulations on meeting a difficult situation with efficiency and reason. It might be one of the best training events you'll ever experience.

Stay wet.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]