Re: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by grousseau on May 11, 2005 at 13:29:30:

In Reply to: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours? posted by Anonymous on May 11, 2005 at 11:32:39:

1. Air II - like you said.....hard to control boyancy while using it. I dive DIR single tank setup now and have practiced donating the 5 foot hose. I can drop my chin and find my secondary air with my eyes closed.......ie at night.

2. Donate AIR?? 1 time in 23 years and it was a similar situation but during daylight. Buddy ran out of air in 25 ft of water. He had no deco obligation because our max depth was 35ft. 50 ft of visibility. I shared air to the surface but wondered why he didn't blow N go because he was 15 ft from me when he signaled out of air. Keep in mind that this was 1983 and Octo's were not in use.......we were doing old school buddy breathing where I control the reg and we breath back and forth off the same reg.

3. OOA kills divers and should not be taken lightly. When I dive with a buddy I monitor my PSI and his PSI. During the Dive I can guage if he/she is using more or less. I usually cut my dive at 1000 psi remaining. Usually gives me 500 psi for assent and safety stop with 500 psi reserve. Also........last minute dive buddies are not always the best arrangement......expecially for added tasks like night diving.

JMO

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]