Re: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on May 12, 2005 at 11:20:38:

In Reply to: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours? posted by Anonymous on May 11, 2005 at 11:32:39:

1.What are folks' thoughts on Air IIs?

I dislike them for may reasons; they are unreliable and prone to failure (I have seen many fail on dive trips), they make controlling your buoyancy difficult, they are expensive.

2.How often have you had to donate air? What are your personal ratios, 1 out of 50 dives, one out of 100, one out of 200? What's the deal here.

In over 1800 dives I have never had to donate air except in practice scenarios. I hope this trend continues.

3.Do people think running out of air/having to share air is a serious situation? This buddy was fairly nonchalant about the whole deal, even claiming that it was a "great dive". I said it was the "worst f#$%in dive ever" for me because of what happened. The most aggravating part for me is that it was totally avoidable and not due to equipment failure.

Running out of air is always a serious situation and should never be taken lightly. I too would avoid diving with this guy again. Not only is his attitude questionable after the dive, his decision to come after you instead of head for the surface in such shallow water is a dubious as well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]