Re: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on May 12, 2005 at 15:37:51:

In Reply to: Re: Out of Air Situations - Here's my experience, what's yours? posted by Elan on May 11, 2005 at 16:07:09:

I average 175-200 ocean dives/year. I only teach 2-4 basic classes per year (so that accounts for maybe 10-25 dives), maybe 10 advanced/other classes (so maybe that's another 50 dives), so maybe it's 100-150 non-teaching dives/year. Then multiply that times 27 years of teaching.

I repeat: I've never had someone I was diving with run out of air, nor have I ever had a non-buddy swim up to me out-of-air.

Now granted, if you're diving with me we've probably disucssed OOA in the pre-dive breifing so maybe my exoperience is not typical. But then again, that's sort of part of th epoint isn't it?

And I've certainly had people low on air (but not totally out) who I've put on my octo and we've finished the dive/ascended. But then again, that's the whole point of planning ahead, isn't it?

Ironically, I had a dream last night where I was extremely low on air and may have even been in deco and had to make a choice between running out of air (not a good plan) or getting bent (also not a good plan but better than OOA). Just then a big group of turtles swam by and while I was trying to figure out what to do . . . I woke. Go figure.

I blame it all on this thread.

:-)

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments: