Time: 9:00
Bottom Time: 12 minutes
Max Depth: 130'
Vis: Maybe one foot
Wave height: 3-4
Temp at depth: 50F
Surface Temp: 57F
Tide information:
Comments: I dropped down first to try for some pictures before my buddies joined me and stirred up the silt. No worries! When I hit the anchor the vis was near zero and no wreck in sight. I tied off my reel and made one sweep, but due to the poor vis, I gave up. I met with my buddies after I left the bottom, but they decided to look around. They eventually found the wreck and had 6-8 feet of vis, but it wouldn't have made for good photography today. We then headed for some long concrete pipes Ross-O found last year off Pt. Fermin.

Date: 5/15/05
Dive Location: Pipes
Time: 11:21
Bottom Time: 40 minutes
Max Depth: 133'
Vis: 20 feet
Wave height: 3-4
Temp at depth: 50F
Surface Temp: 57F
Tide information:
Comments: Much nicer! We found the pipes layed out end to end for about 150 feet. Thet are ten feet diameter concrete pipes covered by as much beauty as Southern California waters can offer. I wish I would have taken my camera here. Red Gorgonian covers the outer surface of the pipes, with Tritona Festiva nudibranchs everywhere. Sponges, scallops, a few metridiums and several large Cabezon covered the rest. We swam through the entire length. How could anyone resist doing that?
We then swam over the top back to our strating poing before ascending. The upper fifty feet of water was filled with jellies today, which always make any deco obligation fun for me. Ross didn't enjoy that as much, as he received a little sting between his mask and hood. One of the jellies was a small, 3" egg yolk jelly. I'd never seen one that small, so that added to the fun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]