My Hawaii Trip

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on May 20, 2005 at 11:25:34:

In Reply to: Kona Coast posted by TDB on May 20, 2005 at 10:49:00:

I had a great time in Kona last year.

We did 14 beach dives over an 11 day trip with 7.5 possible diving days.
Dove spots spanning entire West side of the Island from Mahukona to South Point.

Puako Village End
Alua Beach
Place of Refuge
Manuka Bay - saw dolphins while diving!
Old Airport
Place of Refuge
Kealakekua Bay
Manuka Bay - saw a whale while diving!
Manuka Bay
Mahukona
Puako Village End
Captain Cook Monument - hauled 6 bottles, 3 sets of gear, and 3 people 1 mile across cove in 2 kayaks
Captain Cook Monument
South Point - saw a manta ray in broad daylight!

We rented a place at the Hale Kona Kai Inn or something like that from Robert Moriarity (Robert, are you still around?). It was a nice simple place to hang out in between dives.

We really liked doing business with Big Island Divers. They were friendly and down to earth once they realized that we were hardcore down-n-dirty beach divers and had no use for their silly boat trips. It's funny - we had several shops tell us that there is no good shore diving on the Big Island :-)

If you get a 4WD, you must make the trip to Manuka. You'll be the only non-natives there and it'll be an experience that you'll never forget. You should also try to dive South Point. Everyone will tell you that it's far to dangerous, you'll be blown off to anartica, schooling hammerheads will devour you, etc. I survived and it was also an experience that I'll never forget.

Cheers,
Ross

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]