Event Report:: LB Scuba Show 2005

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on May 22, 2005 at 21:47:09:

Event Report

The 2005 Scuba Show at the Long Beach Convention Center

The Scuba Show was held at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, May 21 and 22, 2005.

I was able to spend a few hours at the show today looking around.

I met Patrick Smith, in person, for the first time.

Patrick was manning the Coastal Maritime Archaeology Resources booth. What is CMAR? In short, CMAR works "under the guidance of National Park Service and National Marine Sanctuary archaeologists and resource managers. CMAR develops and implements programs designed to preserve and understand our nation's maritime cultural heritage." It was great to meet you Patrick! If you have any questions about CMAR clearly Patrick is the man to ask.

Jeff Shaw was at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium booth.

Jeff was passing out pamphlets about the new structure for the Chocolate Lobster Dive. Evidently, there has been criticism that some of the Chocolate Lobsters, and their plastic wrap, are left in the ocean. To eliminate event related ocean litter, those little plastic wrapped, prize number laden, yummy lobsters, aren't going to be put out for the dive anymore. Instead the event is going to be conducted more like a walkathon where participants will obtain sponsors. Divers will earn prizes based on their sponsorship levels. Hopefully, all participants will receive a Chocolate Lobster.

.Judy and Roger Carlson displaying Jujee Beads. I bought an Angel Fish bead.

As the day went on, the crowds increased. The Sport Chalet raffles were very popular.

I stopped for lunch at the concession stand. A cheeseburger, fries, and a diet coke was 14.00 - not cheap. In the show area there were stand up tables only - not comfortable. I miss the days when the Scuba Show was held on the Queen Mary. .

After lunch I went to the Sea Challengers booth. David Behrens was there.

In September, two new Nudibranch books will be available - "Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs" will include nudibranchs between Panama and Alaska, and "Nudibranch Behavior" which will cover feeding, reproduction, how Nudibranchs see and sense, Nudibranch relationships with other animals etc, etc. etc. I saw the prototype copes and these are both going to be great books.

The training organizations had their booths. NAUI, PADI, LA County etc.

I looked at the schedule for the summer 2005 LA County Advanced Diver program and it was pretty impressive. Beach dives, boat dives, lectures. I like the LA County program because it seems to really prepare people to be strong CALIFORNIA advanced divers It is a great alternative for learning advanced skills without going the technical diver route. For anyone who is interested the Summer Program starts July 10, 2005. The Three R group was also represented at the show.

The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber had a booth. The California Wreck Divers were near by, as well as the Underwater Historical Society.

There were all sorts of displays from the dive equipment manufacturers.

I thought that the most interesting new product was the underwater "oxygen hang bar" booth. I'd pay a cover charge to spend safety stop time at an oxygen bar.

There were lots of travel booths advertising the places that we would all like to go, (wakatobi is on my list) and DAN was there just in case something goes wrong..

The Peace had their booth as usual.

I saw Capt. Kim roaming the exhibits.

I peeked into the try out pool

I saw Joe Liburdi who sold me my first camera as well as the housed set up that I use every week for my trip reports..

It was a great place to see friends and spend a few hours immersed in our Scuba Culture.

Until Next time……

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]