Great Escape will stop the taking of small, or illegal fish.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on May 23, 2005 at 19:00:57:

This is not a new issue, but one that I have shared with all of you in the past.
Last weekend I had a group that went to San Clemente Island. It was a good trip except that some of the group continued to spear small “Sheepheads”. I told them the first time to please not take anymore. I thought the situation was over. Then Steve came in and told me that many more small “Sheepheads” had been brought aboard. I went outside and watched one diver through over 11 small “Sheepheads” and I was furious. I started to go inside when another diver brought up 8 or 9 “Sheepheads” and at least 3 were small.
(The daily limit for “Sheephead” is 5 and they have to be at least 12 inches long.)
I made an announcement on the PA about this and if any more came up, the diving day was done. I thought it was over, but alas at least 5 more smalls came up.
I called “We Tip”, but as most of you know on the weekends, you only get a recording.
When I got home I called Sonke, the deputy director of Fish and Game, (and yes I have his home phone) and we discussed this for a couple of hours.
After the long talk with Sonke, and the lack of cooperation with the divers, Great Escape Charters Inc. is now taking the following spear fishing rules.

It is the responsibility of the spear fishermen to know the rules of spear fishing. If you do not know them, do not spear fish.

IF ANY SPEARFISHERMEN TAKES ANY FISH THAT IS UNDER SIZE, OR OUT OF SEASON, THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THEIR SPEAR GUN, OR POLE SPEAR BACK INTO THE WATER.

They may of course continue to dive, but their hunting day is over.
This goes into effect as of yesterday.

Captain Tim
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: