Re: Which signaling device?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on May 26, 2005 at 08:58:41:

In Reply to: Which signaling device? posted by Chris on May 25, 2005 at 20:17:05:

I would recommend a sausage that can be inflated and sealed in addition to a noise maker. The open end orange bags may be ok in some locations. In my experience they don't serve well in the Cocos. Think about "if I am drifting how do I make myself visible on the surface." I know people who carry die markers and laser flares as an alternative to the pyrotechnic variety. The latter are water proof although a bit pricey.

Another consideration, is to consider your level of comfort (or risk) and your dive profile. The divemaster will tell you "if you find yourself in blue water come to the surface and do not make a stop." On my trip down there the diver ignored this advice and we found her drifting in a rain squall a few miles from the island. If you are concerned about such things, dive conservatively. The tender operators are great and pay close attention to the divers who are usually spread over hell's half acre by the end of the dive.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]