Re: Hey Capt Tim on the GE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James on June 11, 2005 at 23:20:39:

In Reply to: Hey Capt Tim on the GE posted by Diver Tim on June 09, 2005 at 23:02:47:

I contacted SCI and the Coast Guard is in fact enforcing the law out there. Here is the ifo as I got it...
http://www.scisland.org/forum/article.php?vartid=140

Topic Boating to the Island
Title Boating at SCI
Date 08-JUN-05 11:01
Author James Shanahan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am planning to head out to SCI to do some diving soon but have had a couple of friends who went out there recently that were turned away by the Navy and Coast Guard on days and in areas that were not restricted according to the schedule. When asked, the Coast Guard said they were now enforcing an existing law not allowing civil boats from being within 300 yards of the island. Is this true? If not, how can I find the definitive answer? Thanks \\ James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Webmaster's comments
James, The Coastguard is on SCI until late August/early September. They are involved in some summer work with the US Naval Academy Midshipmen and a vessel off the waters of SCI. When they taking the Midshipmen to/from the vessel, they are blocking/cordoning off areas around SCI because of security issues. These events are not on the schedule because they are not training events. As for the 300 yd standoff--it is still under review within the Navy. The law is "still on the books" and was never enforced because there were no assets on SCI to enforce it. If the Coastguard is enforcing it during their stay on SCI, it is their call. So-until late August/early September, be aware that the Coastguard has assets on SCI and will be enforcing laws that might not have been enforced in the past. r/ Abel Holguin Ass't SCI Range Manager CSC / SCORE (619) 313-2451 / 524-9112

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]