Re: Fisherman facing poaching charges

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lobsterdon on June 19, 2005 at 09:35:27:

In Reply to: Fisherman facing poaching charges posted by on June 18, 2005 at 21:57:47:

This is unbelievable. I hope they throw the book at this guy. People like him can cause more damage to the resource than thousands of law abiding sportfishermen and divers. Kudos to the Threasher. I have been checked by this boat dozens of time while bug diving off PV. Most of the crew remember me but still do a thourogh check of my boat. At first I used to resent the intrusion, but after a few visits and getting to know them better, I realized they are doing their job and are protecting the resource for all of us to enjoy. This case really re-enforces the value of the role that F&G plays. As a game taker, I believe that the rules set up by F&G, if followed by all, will protect the fisheries for all to enjoy. I also believe that if we see violations of these rules by fellow divers or fishermen, we should not be shy about bringing it the their attention. If somebody makes a mistake due to inexperience, and brings in a slightly short fish or bug, I think a little good natured ribbing should be applied to make sure the offender learns. On the other hand, if you see gross violations such as the one described above, or the large numbers of short sheephead desribed as taken on a recent posting, or the bragging about the hundreds of short lobster taken in a recent posting, I think it would be appropriate to call the anti-poaching tip line. It is unfortunate, but just a tiny percentage of bad guys can ruin it for us all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]