Time: 9:36
Bottom Time: :39 and :29
Max Depth: 54'
Vis: 20-25 on the first dive with 10' on the second
Wave height: Nada-2' on the second dive
Temp at depth: 51F
Surface Temp: Tropical
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments: Carlos (Dive California), Claudette, Jeff and I had a great time locating Headhunter Reef.
I had two minutes less bottom time because I surfaced to dump the rest of the water out of the buoy, a one gallon plastic bottle that can now be seen from shore, albeit a LONG way from shore. I thought it was about 100 yards, but as Claudette and I reached the cove one of the other divers who had just dived it thanks to the marker said it was closer to 200 yards. By the time Claudette and I surface swam to it, it seemed to be closer to five miles. It only took us about four or five minutes to make it back to the beach underwater.
My camera housing had more water in it than it is supposed to (none) so no pictures from dive #1. I dried everything off and went back to get some photographic evidence but this time the batteries were dead. That means I have to make that swim again!!!
The diving itself was fun. Claudette played with a couple Hermit crabs, Jeff retrieved the elusive Tigris Nikis (golf balls) and Carlos had a very cool body English when the structure showed up on his handheld sonar. It only took us a couple minutes to locate the platform. I left the buoy out there for all to enjoy, but after Scottfiji's weights were stolen yesterday and the garden hose that's been there for a couple years was gone today I don't have much hope that the buoy will stay forever.
If anyone wants to dive this platform, take a heading of 150 degrees from the right side (facing the ocean) of the cobblestone beach and you should see a white plastic bottle half way to Catalina, or 200 yards, whichever comes first.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]