Re: Do not support SB241!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on March 29, 2000 at 21:49:05:

In Reply to: Do not support SB241! posted by Chris on March 29, 2000 at 21:36:58:

Why do you feel this way, Chris? To me, this makes perfect sense.(And I'll throw in the caveat that I am NOT a hunter. Just take photos. Also take note that I'm Chairman of Chamber Day and was involved in soliciting the donation from CEMR.)

On a recent trip to one of the Huntington Beach oil rigs, I was appalled to watch my fellow divers bring up bag after bag of scallops, in some cases in excess of the 10/diver/day limit. ("I'm getting some for my friend over there who also has a license.")

IMHO, I think it's pretty well-established that we, as a diving community, do not have the patience or foresight to manage these not-unlimited resources (take a look at the abalone and lobster fisheries).

Again IMHO, left unchecked, I think we'd strip these places clean of all game (especially scallops) within six months. And I don't think we have a right to just take whatever we want from the ocean.

So why are do you have such a strong opinion against making these areas game preserves?

- Ken

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]