Re: Tech diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on April 13, 2000 at 11:31:48:

In Reply to: Re: Tech diving posted by SLANG on April 13, 2000 at 10:58:38:

Slang,

If the future of tech diving rides on my shoulders we are all in trouble ;-)

I am personally aware of several prominent members active in the recreational community that can't wait for that to happen so maybe that's why I get a little defensive and pro active.

As to definning *cowboy* well I'm not expert in the definitional area but I have been actively trying promote reduced P02's, reduced END's, hyperoxic trimixes and elimination of deep air. I recognize, of course, that everyone is going to do what they are going to do despite my efforts but I would also like to see us get some sense of community amongst those of us that desire to do the deeper stuff.

I agree that diving on the east coast is different than diving out here. In fact, I'm an ex-New Yorker and got certified before I moved out here. But that aside there are many areas that we can find some common ground. For example, deep air, reduced END's, proper tank markings, team concepts to name a few that transcend geographical areas.

One thing that strikes me as strange is that you say Californians have been pushing the recreational envelope for years and some have even gotten messed up doing it. Given the technological advances, and given that we should all learn from prior mistakes why is everyone so resistant to change??

As far as anyone having authority over your diving decisions, well I think that is a forgone conclusion that no one other than yourself has authority over your decisions.

Lastly, as to very limited application in So Cal I respectfully disagree. While I note we are missing a staple attraction such as an Andrea Doria or a USS Wilkes Barre or the like, I think sites such as Farnsworth Bank are perfect examples of where I would love to see increased usage of hyperoxic trmixes. Everyone knows that many, many divers explore Farnsworth down well below 130', and most do so on air without any deco gas. To me it makes much more sense, if you are planning a deeper dive there to do so on mix with appropriate deco gases. You'll remember more of what you see, you'll have a clearer head in an event of an emergency, and you'll enjoy the dive more.

What boats do you frequent?? And have we met??

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]