Loyalty is earned. It does not come from

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on April 14, 2000 at 15:17:47:

In Reply to: Dive Shop Loyalty? posted by Cancer on April 13, 2000 at 15:49:07:

just being the place that taught you to dive. This does help the stores make money, though. They know that you will feel more comfortable talking to someone who you "know" than a total stranger. This is especially true of newly certified divers who fear either being made to look stupid or getting reamed by a salesman. This is why scuba instruction is virtually non-profit for dive shops. Nobody gets rich off teaching. It is the equipment sales that pay the shop's bills and payroll.

I try to stick with one store as much as possible because over the years, they have come to know me, and what I like to do in diving. This has allowed them to recommend dives and equipment that i might not have otherwise tried. Within the last year I bought two tanks at other stores. When they showed up with VIP stickers from Pacific Wilderness and Dive N Surf, they asked how good the sale was and fully understood. When I bought a couple of new octos last year, Sports Chalet had them cheaper and they were willing to match the price and save me the trip. It was good of them to do this. It was a kindness extended to me.

I do not expect them to lose money for my sake. I also do not expect them to treat me like family. I am a customer who needs to be given the normal level of respect. If they fail to do that I will shift to another store. There are so many fine, small shops out there.

One more thing. I like it when they are big suporters of things like the Chocolate Lobster Dive, Cleanup Dives, Chamber Day, etc.

I guess I might as well tell you where I shop. I generally use American Diving in Lomita. They have treated me well for quite a few years now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]