Re: Question About OMS BC'S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Clinton Bauder on April 18, 2000 at 18:35:37:

In Reply to: Question About OMS BC'S posted by Dale on April 11, 2000 at 17:26:45:

To me the Cummerbund, Pockets and Shoulder Strap pads are just extra stuff that gets in the way and adds bulk and drag. Also a conventional harness is much easier to get into. The straps don't get all twisted and are less likely to get caught on wrist mounted computers, compasses etc. They aren't hard to get out of once you get used to it so long as you don't cinch down the straps too tight.

I'm not as religious as some regarding the issue of shoulder strap buckles but I don't really see the need for them either. I don't have a problem getting out of my rig. I don't see it as a safety issue as you'd almost certainly have to break both snaps and then come out of the waist strap but it might prevent you from diving if somebody drops a weight belt or tank on the snap.

I'd go with a conventional backplate and harness. The Halcyon Pioneer wings are probably the best for single tank diving. I dive the 36lb wing. It's very streamlined, has plenty of lift for the weight I carry and has a nice snag/kelp free short inflator hose. OMS makes the best single tank adaptor. The backplates are all pretty much the same, your choice there is one of material - stainless or aluminum. I like a the steel plate for local diving since it is 6lbs negative and I don't need as much lead. Halcyon, Scubapro and Dive Rite offer conventional 1 piece backplate harnesses, not sure about OMS. You can make your own easily enough too.

Like Mike I don't like the OMS bungie wing things. Diving them may not be suicidal as some claim but they certainly add up to more things that can go wrong with dubious benefit in return. However many bungies you have the air will still move to the highest place which eliminates the "air shift" argument. As for drag it seems like the ruffles probably add as much drag as a conventional wing but I doubt anybody at either OMS or elsewhere has actually done tank tests to prove it one way or the other. Sinking like a rock due to an inability to inflate the wings really shouldn't happen - a drysuit or lift-bag should provide alternative lift and mitigate against that but why ask for trouble?

Clinton

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]