May I add...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on April 26, 2000 at 21:23:01:

In Reply to: What the others said, and... posted by Jusfer on April 26, 2000 at 19:06:25:

Not only is the water colder than you think, but the vis in Santa Cruz is rarely over 5 feet. If you get really lucky though, you might get to see a realy big fish that is local to the area. We refer to him as the land lord, though some call him whitey (might just be for racist reasons). It is some the most challenging diving on the coast and even in the world. I hope that you are a strong swimmer.
Now, I really did cut my teeth diving there, but I still don't recommend it for most people. If you insist though, why not try the north point at the beach 4 miles north of town (4 Mile Beach) just to make sure that you have a memorable experience. If you survive that, you can dive anywhere... Or go up to Scott's Creek and see if you can lose your car. Few beaches can offer that experience, but Scott's Creek can suck them right up.
Heck, for good diving and a real thrill. go to Ano Neuvo. Walk to the front of the abandoned Coast Guard house. While your friend is standing in front, run inside the house and try to scare an elephant seal into jumping out of an upper story window onto them.
Better yet, as Jusfer advises, you might be better off just visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Less exciting, but more fun, warmer and about a 90% better survival rate.
I couldn't resist, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]