Re: How long does the plankton bloom usually last?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curt Billings on April 29, 2000 at 08:46:42:

In Reply to: How long does the plankton bloom usually last? posted by Jusfer on April 28, 2000 at 22:40:14:

From my experiences it varies by year, location, depth, and can change unpredictably. El nino and la nina, rainfall and drought affect it widely. Typically, and remember there are always exceptions, the worst vis is in spring and the best is in fall. However, you can never expect to have a bad vis day at a certain time of year because an upwelling can change things immediately. It could be a thick layer 30' and above and 60+ vis below. My last dive on Apr 8 the vis was outstanding and was beyond what I expected.
http://www.seadivers.org/00_Dive_Log.htm#00-3 A couple a years back at Farnsworth in Apr it was like Braille diving. With the reduced vis in spring you can actually get closer to many fish before they are startled and flee, for example yellowtail and white seabass. Also, the limited vis adds a bit of excitement and curiosity to what may be just out past the edge of view. Sharks have been calving around now and a few straggling whales are migrating north. We have had a whale swim right over us at PV and sighted a thresher shark in the springtime. White sharks calve in the bays around now and are on rare occasions have been sighted in the shallow reefs. If the reduced vis disappoints you, think about it as a right brain left brain application where you get to see things in a different light. You will have the opportunity see things differently and as you never saw them before.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]