Re: Lobster!!!!Help!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 20, 1999 at 14:03:03:

In Reply to: Lobster!!!!Help!!! posted by Marta on September 20, 1999 at 01:38:51:

In addition to the others comments regarding licenses PLEASE get familiar with the rules. 3 1/4" . You will need to get a gauge to determine if any of the lobsters are legal size. Please don't bring up illegal game. Also, bugs are a little difficult to catch in the beginning. Try not to rip the antenna or legs off the bug.

If you are diving in the daytime it's unlikely you will see them out and about. You will most likely need to get them out of the reef. The best way to do this is to grab the bug by the knuckle of the antenna. The part closest to its head. If you get the bug by that portion, shake it hard. That will momentarily confuse the bug. You can them pull the bug out of the reef.

At night, they will be out feeding. The best way to grab them at night is to point your light just in front of them ( bugs swim backwards) the light will produce a momentary deer in head light effect. Grab the bug immediately from behind and hold it to the ground. Get a better grip on it against the ground. Then measure and put in bag. I usually put my hand under the bug so its legs surround my hand. I hold it, it holds me. It makes it easier to measure that way. If legal put it in your bag tail first. There is nothing worse than catching a legal bug and loosing it while putting it in your bag.

Just learn the rules first and then enjoy.

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]