Re: B.C.s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on June 09, 2000 at 10:28:51:

In Reply to: B.C.s posted by ryan on June 07, 2000 at 18:48:55:

Ryan:

I've been using a Seaquest 3D for five years now, really do like it. Their current product line is basically the same with improvements.

It is not weight integrated, but you can put up to about eight lbs in the pockets, which is really nice when travelling to warm weather water and you will no longer be wearing a wetsuit to cushion your hips from the weightbelt.

For colder diving in California and the like, I've found that weight integrated can be difficult in that when you don the BCD unit, you have to lift the weight of tank, bcd, reg, and your lead. If you use a lot of lead, it tends to wear out the BCD at a faster rate than non-integrated BCDs, unless the design is extremely sturdy (ie don't buy a cheap weight integrated unless you want to buy a new BCD every two or three years).

The first time I used the Seaquest BCD, it caught me off guard because the flotation is in the back, which tends to force you horizontal when swimming. This is great underwater, but took some getting used to on the surface swim. I started using my snorkel and compass more, rather than poking my head up to look where I was going.

If you are using a BCD that has a part of it's flotation bladder in the front, you will be in for a change which may take some getting used to. But it was a change that I liked as it made it easier to stay streamlined and horizontal while underwater.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]