A little known secret: FREE List of Lat & Long coordinates

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on July 07, 2000 at 13:45:05:

I was recently visiting the REEF web page to get the REEF code numbers for sites that I am doing surveys on (Great American Fish Count surveys), and I noticed that their list included not only the name of the locations but their lattitude and longitude coordinates as well.

So for those GPS fanatics out there, the data is there for the taking. FREE. And they list beach locations, island locations, and WRECK locations. Not all sites have coordinates listed. But considering what some folks are charging for software for use with GPS receivers, finding something free is great. Both Pacific and Atlantic data is given.

To get to the Pacific Coast codes and the coordinates, go to www.reef.org, follow their link to the survey information page, then choose "Pacific", then choose "Geographical".

Even if you aren't interested in the coordinates, you should check out the web site anyway. Its full of great information.

The guys at REEF also run a great program, and are generating useful data. I encourage all of you to get involved.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]