Re: Best warm water dive vacation, where would you go?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Clinton Bauder on July 14, 2000 at 15:43:52:

In Reply to: Best warm water dive vacation, where would you go? posted by Lisa P on July 14, 2000 at 09:08:50:

It depends a lot on what kind of diving you like. If you're interested in big animals I'd recommend Cocos or maybe Galapagos. I can't recommend the Undersea Hunter in Cocos enough. It's a great operation. The diving there is amazing. If you can't see a shark while underwater in Cocos, try clearing your mask! Galapagos is almost as nice underwater and also has the advantage of incredible topside attractions as well but the boats aren't as good. Also the water temperature in Galapagos can dip into the high 60s F which kind of moves it out of the "warm water" category. Cocos is usually more like 80F with some thermoclines at depth dropping to the mid to low 70s.

For more relaxed diving I'd recommend New Guinea. It's a long way to go but worth it. I was on the Golden Dawn last summer and it was great. Diving ranged from a deep wreck (The B17 BlackJack) to 90 minute shallow "muck" dives to awesome coral reefs to a very cool Manta Ray cleaning station.

I just got back from Bonaire a couple of weeks ago. It was OK but a bit monotonous bordering on dull. The reefs are pristine and pretty but there aren't many big animals and with exception of the Town Pier all of the dives pretty much blended into one. I was in Belize a few years ago and had the same reaction - relaxing and easy but not exciting.

Clinton

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]