WetSuit Choices for So. Cal. Snorkeling - What do you use ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean Christensen on July 21, 2000 at 23:14:08:

I could use some advise on wetsuit choices for snorkeling here in Southern California. I’m planing some kayak / snorkeling trips to Catalina & San Diego in the near future and would like to have my own wetsuit. From what have read … for scuba-diving you need a thicker suit for the pressure and colder temperatures at depth. I understand using a 6mm or 7mm fullsuit with a hood is considered appropriate for diving in these areas in the summer or winter months, correct ? So what would be appropriate for snorkeling in these areas ? Would a 7mm Henderson Gold Core fullsuit be way to much for what I’d like to do ?

I would like to wear a one-piece fullsuit with booties. I’m also considering a hooded vest to be worn under the fullsuit if I get really cold. Should I consider a 2mm, a 3mm fullsuit ? How about these combo suits, like a 5/3 or a 3/2 ? Having more flexibility in the arms and legs sounds good, but is it practical ? Can I look at wetsuits designed and marketed for surfers, or should I stay with what are considered diving suits ? Just looking at O’Neill’s WebSite I can see they offer a larger selection in the surfer category than in the dive category. Is there that big a difference between a surfing wetsuit and a diving wetsuit in a snorkeling application like I described ? I'm also interested in everyones choices of brand names and the reasons you may have selected one brand over another.

Thanks !

Dean Christensen
Rossmoor, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]