Re: Dry Suits (Neoprene vs. Trilam.)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 25, 2000 at 22:04:53:

In Reply to: Dry Suits (Neoprene vs. Trilam.) posted by Rob1 on July 25, 2000 at 19:32:18:

DISCLAIMER: Don't forget that I'm a retailer and that may color my opinions.

Personally, I dive in a Zeagle neoprene suit that (except for one nagging seam that seeps) I'm very happy with. I'm only using 17 lbs. (vs. 14 for my Henderson Gold one-piece wetsuit) so I haven't felt that weight is an issue.

What I do like about it is that the neoprene is VERY warm and insulating. During the winter, when others are wearing thick underwear, I dive in my drysuit with just a t-shirt and shorts on underneath (50º is the coldest I've been diving in).

The flip side of that is that it's too warm for the summer, and right about now I switch back to my wetsuit and will wear that through the end of October.

At Reef Seekers, we sell a lot of the DUI tri-lams and everyone seems happy with them but from a personal standpoint, they just seemed a bit too baggy for my tastes, and I didn't like the look of the "skirt" when you roll up the excess in the torso.

However, if you have this same conversation with my partner Bill, he'll swear that the tri-lam is the only way to go and doesn't understand why I like the Zeagle so much.

Just remember: It's all opinion. (Including my thoughts.) It's your money so get what you feel most comfortable with after you've weighed all the arguments.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]