Re: Dive vacation... where to go????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bach on July 27, 2000 at 10:03:47:

In Reply to: Dive vacation... where to go???? posted by Ell on July 25, 2000 at 18:47:20:

Just got back from Cozumel a week ago. I agree, it is a great place to go. My wife and two teenage kids, both are cert divers, went, we had plenty to do! They have a movie theater now, miniture golf, restaurants galore, shopping, beach bbqs day and night, and there are many reputable dive ops to choose from. There are also a couple all inclusive resorts, one price gets you hotel, diving, meals. I recently saw an ad for Continental Airlines, $2,000 something pp at the Scuba Club Cozumel, (old Galapago Inn), includes hotel, meals, diving and airfare.
Hawaii is ok for diving
Tahiti is not very good, Jamacia is even worse.
I have not made it to Bonnaire yet, but have heard very good things about the diving. Caymans have very good diving, but will be pretty expensive overall, moreso than Coz.
Being limited budget, I don't think you can beat Cozumel, and will be very happy with your trip.
Coz is a pretty small island, most of the population is located in the town. The island also does a large cruise ship operation, town can get pretty crowded when they come in.
If you do choose Coz, dive the C-53, newly sunk ship in 80'. Nice dive, not much life on it yet.
On one of the reefs (Punt Tunich), came across a 7' nurse shark lying in the sand, also some sea turtles. Other dives came across bat rays, eels, octopus, baracuda, grouper, jewfish, all kinds of angel fish, etc etc. water temps were 83, no thermocline, avg vis was about 100'. I dove in a swim suit and t shirt, it was that warm. The dive op we hired allowed us to dive our computers, some have pretty strict limits as to depth and time.
Stayed at La Ceiba hotel, it was nice, clean, toilet, shower, clean sheets everyday. A bit of ways out of town, but a taxi ride for 4 of us was only about $4.50. Can eat pretty cheap or pretty expensive. Dairy Queen, KFC, Hard Rock Cafe, Domino's Pizza on the island if you tire of local places. Guido's Pizza has very good Pizza!
If you'd like more info, feel free to e me. ]
Hope your vacation, where ever you choose, is very enjoyable!
Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]