Re: Dive vacation... where to go????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wiliam Schoemaker on July 28, 2000 at 01:25:25:

In Reply to: Dive vacation... where to go???? posted by Ell on July 25, 2000 at 18:47:20:

Cozumel is absolutely awesome as far as diving is concerned.Which suit to take you 5 or 7 mil......NONE.
We went in March and the water was so warm I was diving in my swimming trunks.We swam with and PETTED a
Moray eel that had to be 6 feet long (the dive master supervised I wouldnt have dreamed of this on my own)
There was every type of coral imagineable.The water was crystal clear.The reefs are very long and the best
thing is you drift dive them.This means you jump in the water drop down and the current takes you along the
reef you dont have to kick a fin absolutely the easiest diving you will do since you are not very experienced.
When you surface the boat has followed you and you get back in with no surface swim. You can rent a volkswagon bug
convertible for about 10 bux and drive to the backside of the island that has beautiful unspoiled beaches for miles
with the occasional small restaurant every couple miles.(they have surfboards you can rent).The town is rather small
but if you are not looking for a Saturday night fever type of night life its not bad. Excellent seafood of course and
as mentioned in some of the above posts its been Americanized to some extent.And if you really have an urge for the night
life Cancun is not that far. We stayed at the Allegro Diamond resort which is all inclusive..meals, beverages,alcohol,
tanks for beach diving were all included. They also had a great dive operator right there on the resort. 2 large swimming pools
one with a swim up bar, tennis courts, etc.Its alot closer to California than Tahiti and a whole lot cheaper. Just make sure
you take the nonstop flight from Los Angeles to Cancun then to Cozumel not the one that stops in Mexico City, then Cancun, then Cozumel.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]