Re: We just got back from PNG

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on August 01, 2000 at 11:51:32:

In Reply to: Re: We just got back from PNG posted by Robert Davis on July 31, 2000 at 16:39:43:

Tell Jono, Eric and Katrina that Steve & Beth said "hello." The STAR DANCER is fantastic. By the time you get to Rabaul though, you're going to need a rest. But once you get on the boat, you'll never have to worry about another thing.

The pilot whales were there while we were, and we got some great photos of them. Did not see any orcas though. Your destinations will depend on whether you are doing a 7 or 10 day trip, the weather and currents. Lately, for the 10 day trips, they've been heading down to the Witu Islands down towards Kimbe Bay. Regardless of the length of your trip, you'll end up the last day or so at the Duke of Yorks which are a group of islands about a 3 hr. steam directly offshore from Rabaul Harbor. Definitely the worst vis of the trip, but it's mostly muck diving or wreck diving, so the reduced vis is not a factor. If you can, try and convince them to take you to Father's Reef which is a reef system in the middle of nowhere that was discovered less than 2 years ago. The best diving we had all trip. Of course, regardless of where you go, you're going to have excellent diving. I wish I were going back with you. It's more than worth the effort to get there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Good luck.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]