Re: CLOSE CALL ON YUKON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JR Gordon on August 02, 2000 at 13:27:31:

In Reply to: Re: CLOSE CALL ON YUKON posted by MHK on August 01, 2000 at 11:43:24:

Mike,

As you know, I dived The Yukon opening day with experienced wrecker Maggie Owens from The Wahoo (New York)and my son. After our dive we discussed at length the condition of the wreck, it's unintended positioning, and the impact of all this on the safety of recreational divers. We all concurred that this was a definitely a penetration dive with multiple opportunities for accidents to occur. The possiblility of vertigo combined with the now obscured exit points should scare the hell out of anyone who enters this wreck.

This wreck was originally promoted for the recreational diver and perhaps it's time for all of us including the boat operators and the promotors of The Yukon to reconsider that designation. We don't have any really penetrable wreck here, certainly none like The Yukon, consequently there are few divers here trained in penetration techniques and overhead conditions. The opportunity for accidents is very high as apparently experienced by this experienced DM.

As an aside, Mike what do you think of the idea of placing semi-permanent stages in the holds or other areas deep inside this wreck? They could be serviced/exchanged by the boat operatotors on a scheduled basis and might just save a life. Just my $.02.....

JRG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]