Re: wreck penetrable or not????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JR Gordon on August 02, 2000 at 19:17:05:

In Reply to: wreck penetrable or not???? posted by MHK on August 02, 2000 at 16:07:07:

Mike I agree with your perspective that boat operators and dive shops should resist the obvious temptation to sell tickets to any diver simply to fill the boat. Unfortunately that requires a committment to ignore the immediate financial impact that is offered by this wreck.

I like your idea of promoting the use of Nitrox, and basic training in penetration techniques. Maybe we could convince some of the local shops(Perry?) to combine with the local boats (Larry & Lois)to offer classes that combines these 2 diciplines. Or perhaps the dive boats could offer guided tours with multiple DM's to their qualified divers. Yes it would cost more, but I would think that many would appreciate the opportunity to become acquainted with this ship in such a safe manner. DM's as tour guides-hey I like it! A sort of museum docent of the deep. As for the safeties, probably not my greatest idea.

My fear is that eventually someone will lose their life on this wreck (probably soon if an experienced DM has already come close) and then we will have the City of San Diego and perhaps The Coast Guard to contend with.

Sorry to hear you won't be dining on Italia china this summer.

JRG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]