????????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 03, 2000 at 09:50:12:

In Reply to: This is where you & I disagree posted by SLANG on August 02, 2000 at 19:44:31:

Please point to anywhere were I have said that this wreck is limited to DIR diver's???? Just because I do advocate the DIR philosophy does not mean that I have EVER suggested that no one else is qualified to dive a wreck.

I merely pointed out that this wreck did not sink according to plan, it is therefore less open than anticipated, and should be approached in this fashion.

I disagree with the notion that everyone should decide for themseves how far they should penetrate. The problem with that notion is that it may be too late to make that decision once you get disoriented.

By extension of that logic does that mean that someone should be allowed to decide for themselves how far they could penetrate a cave [ even if they aren't cave certified }???

This approach has been tried, bodies were getting dragged from caves left and right. Overhead environments are not the environment that lends itself to the personal preference mentality...

I know this isn't a popular idea, but it's a proactive approach to avoid potential problems..

Of the idea that I have suggested please explain which idea you disagree with and why..

1) Nitrox - using a 36% will increase your EAD to 75', what's wrong with that???

2) Running the rule of thirds..

3) Running lines..

4) Having a buddy..

5) Requiring training in overhead environments

Please address each issue and explain why they are bad ideas...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]