SLANG & Kelphead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 09, 2000 at 12:33:29:

In Reply to: Suggesting precautions . . . or regulations? posted by SLANG on August 09, 2000 at 11:50:23:

My position hasn't changed. To me when I say regulations, I mean Government intervention. When I say procedures or suggestions or something of like kind I'm talking about the boats and shops..

Let's not get too hung up on semantics. I want NO government intervention and I believe that unless we self police and abandon this mentality of anybody should be allowed to dive the Yukon we will likely end up with government intervention..

I have also said that I won't be diving it enough so I;m not the guy to lead the charge. If it were in L.A. and I would be diving or dm'ing more often you can be sure I would get more involved.

For example when I run trips to the Moody, Palawaan or Osborne I do take precautions and if you don't like them, I'm sorry but then you're not on my trips. I run some of the more aggressive trips in town and I don't buy into this *it's my right to kill myself mentality*.

Are my suggestions based by in large around my supprot for DIR, probably. But the notion of running a reel into an OE is not unique to DIR. The notion of requiring proper training for OE, is not unique to DIR.

Kelphead, you made mention of the fact that you are not yet comfortable or qualified to go inside. I respect that but I would add respectfully that you may also not be in a position to properly understand how easy it is to get disoriented, lost or entangled. Forget for a moment that there isn't yet growth on the wreck, or fishing lines, in time there will be. Have either of you guys been lost in a silt out??? Have either of you guys been in a situation where the line that you laid has been cut, have either one of you guys had to exit an OE when your primary light has failed, or know how to properly share air in an OE???

There are simply many things that can go wrong inside a wreck, above and beyond what is taught in open water classes. Mandating proper training is not a proposal that is off the wall. It's sensible..

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]