Quick report on 2 day lobster trip

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jusfer on October 16, 1999 at 22:41:51:

Great Escape, L.A., left Thursday night for Begg Rock, St. Nic, Sta. Barbara Island. Goal: catching bugs.

And then reality kicked in. Seas were too rough to go out to nowhere (which is where you'll find Begg Rock and St. Nic--and therefore also some of the bigger bugs in the area). So we ended up at Sta. Barbara. Did the first nightdive on Friday morning at 4 or 5 (don't remember, was still too sleepy), but only to find out that hardly any lobster were out. Bummer. Five day dives around Sta. Barbara followed, with little results. Two night dives Friday night--same thing. Hardly any bugs out or caught. Leaving for Catalina, back side. Made three dives off the back and front side, not much difference.

The sad record of most bugs caught by one diver on any one dive was two (2)!. About seven or eight legal bugs were caught in total. By 32 divers over 11 dives, that's 352 single dives. Can you believe it?

I personally caught one. My very first one ever. Turned out to be short, so I let him go again. But now at least I know what if feels like to grab, hold and measure one. From now it can only get better.

BTW, I don't think anymore that live lobster at the supermarket are that expensive :-(

Jusfer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]