Yup +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jusfer aka Eins on August 20, 2000 at 19:06:07:

In Reply to: Re: RODALE'S ARTICLE ON SOLO DIVING posted by msblucow on August 20, 2000 at 08:31:07:

What's more, there is a known phenomenon that more experienced divers have more accidents than advanced divers. A while ago there was a discussion about this and the concensus was that these experienced divers do a lot more divers per given timespan. So, on a per-dive view, they are probably safer than advanced, solo or not.

Also, I assume that solo divers dive more often than the average buddy diver, thus 'warranting' a higher accident rate.

Bottom line for me is, however, that a solo diver, equally experienced and safety minded as a buddy team, has less chances to survive in case of trouble. That said, I also believe that the average solo diver is better trained and better capable to resolve a problem than the average buddy team.

It may be the increase of solo dives that plain statistically raises the number of incidents. Nothing to do with it being more and more dangerous on a per-dive basis.

J1

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]