Re: Your questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RobertM on August 24, 2000 at 09:03:58:

In Reply to: Re: First dives with my new Halcyon gear posted by Eric S on August 23, 2000 at 22:10:20:

As I understand it (not having handled them) the other makers backplates are subtle variations of the basic theme. Supposedly slight differences in the angle of the "V", number and placement of the peripheral holes and such. There may be differences in the thickness of the SS and the resulting weight too. The Halcyon has the lower corners of the plate bent outward slightly to prevent any chance of it digging in to your back. I sure am comfortable in it.

Your Black Diamond is probably a fine BC, and no reason to change if you are happy with it. For me, I had reasons for changing. I had gone through a lot of thinking about back floatation BC's, including looking at a Black Diamond. Most, if not all, bothered me with their complexity and yards of cloth. Had been using a Scubapro Classic and had gotten very tired of its bulk and was determined to go in the opposite direction, which boiled down to the Transpac/S-Tek or a backplate. I was very fortunate in being able to try a BP, and was sold on the concept.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]