Re: Criteria for Solo Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on September 01, 2000 at 12:17:36:

In Reply to: Criteria for Solo Diving posted by Ken Kurtis on September 01, 2000 at 11:15:53:

I agree with a number of your criteria. In the past I have solo'd dives that, in retrospect, I would not do now. These days I pretty much restrict mine to boat dives as well, for the reasons you've already stated. Also, I now make sure to carry a redundant air supply sufficient to complete any obligations during ascent even with total failure of my primary. Because of this, I don't necessarily exclude deep, or planned decompression dives, I just plan accordingly.

I will also try to avoid penetrating too deep into heavy kelp beds just to avoid those occasional and annoying entanglements that are much easier to get free of with another pair of eyes/hands. However, I won't exclude minor wreck penetration just because I'm solo. If there isn't a high risk of entanglement, and if using a reel, I'll consider it. After all, it makes for less people in tight spaces, half the chance of silting out the room, less chance of fouling the line . . .

The key is self-sufficiency and recognizing one's limits, and a willingness to admit them.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]