Re: Criteria for Solo Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sea Urchin on September 01, 2000 at 14:03:21:

In Reply to: Criteria for Solo Diving posted by Ken Kurtis on September 01, 2000 at 11:15:53:

Hi Ken
I make 90% of my dives solo. I have been doing this for more than 20 years and must agree with you that diving with someone you don't know is diving solo anyway. I like people but in the u/w enviroment is different than riding in a car with this same person.
One thing is that you can't talk to the other person and that is a big problem u/w. " Hay look out" just doesn't work u/w. "Hay I'm stuck" as you buddy swims away doesn't help. Yes you can bang on you tank but do you?
Anyway I don't dive solo no deep dives, more than 100ft. I know that I can drop my lead and make it to the surface with no air. I have did this a few times and know I can still live. However none of thiese trips to the surface were in really out of air problems.
I like solo diving and wish that the training orgs. would come up with a training program for solo diving-- with what you said as min's. However I would say that that the mins. wuld have to be raised to 500 dives, alternate air supply,a signaling device and an advanced ticket.
I also think that the charter boats need to address this problem by have you sign a special no buddy wavier--so that the DM knows your solo diving.
I think that a good program that really hits home on this is the LAC--ADP course. It really makes you a better diver and that helps. It also help in giving you self-reliance.
Well gotta go now
Bye

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]