Re: Criteria for Solo Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on September 01, 2000 at 17:14:28:

In Reply to: Criteria for Solo Diving posted by Ken Kurtis on September 01, 2000 at 11:15:53:

My wife reads me the riot act if she thinks I'm going to go climb solo, but since she doesn't read this BBS :-b...

I figure at some point in time I'm going to dive solo, just because it's so hard to try and work schedules, etc. Besides, I really enjoy climbing by myself, it's kind of a "one with nature" thing. However, I've been in the climbing game since I was big enough to walk, and I only do stuff I've done many times before and if I happen to be feeling really good at the time. (As before, please note that solo climbing is not climbing unroped, merely alone. It actually entails a ton of extra work and thought).

But having hung out in the death zone enough I learned one thing, a lack of experience will kill you faster than anything. True, there are the dumb luck guys, but more often than not someone got in over their head, and decked out. I put myself square in this category as far as my diving is concerned. So by the time I've gotten enough experience to dive solo hopefully I'll know better than to try :-)

But seriously, I don't plan on trying it any time soon. In fact, I really try to find people much more experienced than me to dive with, because I can learn that way. And just about everyone I know is *way* more experienced than me anyway, so it turns into a law of averages issue. But I'm diving like crazy, so hopefully this won't be the case for long.

Opinions are my own, and are subject to modification at any time with or without notice (although knowing me, it'll generally be with).

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]